Soviet Union (1940)
Heavy self-propelled gun – 1 built
A competitor for the KV-2
The SU-100Y was a development based on the T-100 prototype. It was designed in some respects as a competitor to the KV-2, as a means of destroying Finnish bunkers and other tank obstacles.
Development and design
In December, 1939, there was a demand that Zavod 185 in Leningrad develop a multi-role vehicle based on the T-100. They requested it to be an SPG, bridge-layer, explosives transport, and ARV. However, during development, there was a sudden proposal to mount a high velocity 152mm gun in order to destroy fortifications.
With the suggestion of the plant manager at Zavod 185, two different high caliber guns were proposed – a 100mm and 130mm naval gun. On January 8th, 1940, the proposal was accepted and the T-100 chassis was shipped over to the Izhorsky Factory. A boxy superstructure was built, and a 130mm naval gun was added. It was designated the SU-100Y, and construction of a prototype began shortly after February, 1940.
A large armored casement was fitted around the gun to protect the crew. It had a very large profile so made it easy for the enemy to see and target.
Trials by fire
The vehicle performed tests in March, 1940, but did not see combat due to the Winter War’s end. The SU-100Y was then transferred to Kubinka in mid-1940.
Mass production never commenced, mainly due to the termination of the T-100 project, and seeing as though the KV-2 project was a ‘success’ (the term is used loosely, but compared to the SU-100Y, production was more than likely simpler and cheaper).
However, it was taken out of storage in November, 1941 for the defence of Moscow, along with the SU-14 prototypes, as part of a special independent artillery division. No further information on their combat is known. The SU-100Y (along with a SU-14 prototype) stands today in Kubinka Tank Museum.
SU-100Y prototype armed with a 13cm naval gun 1940
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||10.9 x 3.40 x 3.30 m|
35’9″ x 11’2″ x 10’10” ft.inch
|Total weight, battle ready||60 tons|
|Crew||6 (Cdr, driver, 2 gunners, 2 loaders)|
|Propulsion||GAM-34BT diesel 850 hp (630 kW)|
|Speed (road)||32 km/h (20 mph)|
|Range||210 km (130 miles)|
|Armament||130 mm/50 caliber B-13 pattern 1936 naval gun|
3× 7.62 mm Degtyaryova Tankovy DT machine guns
|Max Shell Range||25,597m (25.5 km or 16 miles)|
|Armor||65 mm max|
The SU-100Y as preserved at the Kubinka Tank Museum
The Soviet SU-100Y was fitted with a 13cm Naval Gun B-13.
To cope with the weight of the SU-100Y it had eight double bogie road wheels and a wide track.
The driver position on Soviet SU-100Y prototype was in the middle of the vehicle. He had very limited vision. No hull machine gun was fitted.
The people in this photograph give you a sense of the size of this Red Army SU-100Y prototype assault gun